Malmesbury - History
In 1941, Linolite Ltd. moved into the area currently known as The Maltings, at the site of the old woollen mill located there.
The company had been formed after Alfred Beutell had patented a tubular electric lamp in 1901, obtaining the name Linolite Ltd. in 1933. The company specialised in filament strip lights (for displays and shaving lamps), but during the Second World War they became the main supplier of hose clips for bomber aircraft de-icing systems (they made 7.5 million hose clips during the war). After the war, they reverted back to making electric lights.
In 1985, Linolite Ltd. relocated their premises to the top of Tetbury Hill, but it had closed by 1993, putting nearly 200 people out of work.
Vernon, Charles & Malmesbury Civic Trust., An Historical Guide to Malmesbury (Malmesbury Civic Trust, Chippenham: May, 2005).