Malmesbury - History
After experiencing a travelling cinema for some years beforehand, Malmesbury finally obtained a permanent building to fulfil such a role in 1935. Athelstan Cinema, as it was known, contained 333 seats. In 1955 it obtained a panoramic screen for the first time and between 1983 and 1988 it doubled as a bingo hall for residents.
The cinema closed later in 1988 and was eventually demolished in 1993. There has been no permanent cinema to replace it in Malmesbury since, but a more recent film society has started up at the Town Hall that shows new releases, both English and foreign language films, on a monthly basis.
Vernon, Charles & Malmesbury Civic Trust., An Historical Guide to Malmesbury (Malmesbury Civic Trust, Chippenham: May, 2005)